Saturday 4 July 2015

DAY 54 - SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA TO NEGREIRA - 23KMS

Another early morning start through the deserted streets of Santiago, down to the Obradoiro Square, past the Parador Nacional and down the hill, which eventually led to beautiful eucalyptus forests and leafy lanes reminiscent of Back home in Surrey.

What I hadn't bargained for were the endless climbs and descents From a height of 253m to160m, 220m,150m,200m, 150m, 175m and finally at Augapesada 58m. From there a very steep 2 km-long climb to Alto do Mar de Ovellas at 270m. I can tell you that I felt completely exhausted! I think our bodies are telling us enough is enough and that we need more rest. We have our flights booked for our return to the UK on the 11th so we don't have much leeway. We may have to take an extra day to complete the journey as we both feel very tired.

The highlight today was passing the Ponte Vella at Ponte Maceira. This is a XIV century bridge in a delightful setting. We remembered this well from our 2010 walk. A few kilometres later we arrived in Negreira, where tonight we are staying in a private Albergue with a room all to ourselves to see if we can get a bit of rest.

Let's see how we get on tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I am not surprised that you are both exhausted after your long treck. I must admit I expected that you would rest longer in Santiago but I guess your schedule did not allow this. Hang in there and take care. Good luck from both of us.

    ReplyDelete